A popular web browser Google Chrome enables us to install useful extensions and customize many different features. However, when it comes to finding your bookmark files it is not the user’s intuitive.
Sometimes you may need to find these bookmark files when you are looking to back up the bookmarks or when you want to delete a corrupted file. You have to save the bookmarks prior if you are doing a reset of your operating system or else they will be lost.
It may also happen that you still want your bookmarks to appear in your new browser even if you do not want to use Google Chrome anymore. So whatever be the reason for needing the exact location of the bookmark files, you need to exit Google Chrome before you delete or modify them. If this is not done then Chrome may automatically restore them as it may detect a change to the files. Whether you have a Mac operating system or Windows or Linux operating system you can easily find out your Google Chrome bookmark files by just following a few simple steps.
Yes, you can definitely find the Google Chrome bookmarks in the browser but here we will be helping you to find out where the bookmark is stored inside your computer. This will help you to backup, restore, or modify your bookmarks locally. So for this, you need to find the location of the exact file or folder where Google Chrome saves the bookmark files. Obviously, the file path will depend on the operating system you are running which may be Mac, Linux, or Windows.
Points to be noted
You should keep in mind a few things before proceeding to find out the folders or files in which the Google Chrome bookmarks exist.
- Unless you are sure that you no longer need the bookmark folder or file you probably do not want to delete or modify it.
- You should consider syncing or signing in to your Google account or Chrome if you want to copy-paste the files and folder just to transfer the bookmarks on to another computer.
- You can easily locate the bookmark folders and files by finding the Default or Profile 1 folder located in the storage path if you do not have multiple users on multiple profiles using the browser.
- You have to make sure which profile is it if multiple users are utilizing Google Chrome. For example Profile 2 maybe the folder for another user.
How to Find Google Chrome Bookmarks in Windows
The bookmark and the bookmark backup file are stored in a long path into the Windows file system by Google Chrome. You can find the location of the file in your user directory by following the path App data –> Local –> Google –> Chrome –> User Data –> Default. If you are willing to modify or delete the bookmark folder or file for some reason then you should first exit Google Chrome. After that, you can easily modify or delete both the Bookmarks and the Bookmarks. bak files. You can easily find them if you are using Windows Explorer on Windows 7 or Windows 8. On Windows, the bookmarks of Google Chrome are stored in a hidden folder.
Here are the steps followed for finding out the location of the bookmark files and folders stored in Windows operating systems.
- Step 1 – You need to head into your Windows system drive.
- Step 2 – Once you are inside the folder you will notice a folder named Users. You can just navigate through the folder with your Username if you are the only user. But in the case of multiple users, you need to decide accordingly which folder you want to open.
- Step 3 – For viewing the hidden files you need to enable the option.
- Step 4 – Once you are done with all the steps you can follow this storage path
App data –> Local –> Google –> Chrome –> User Data –> Default
Depending on the number of profiles you have on your Google Chrome browser you may observe the folders as Default or Profile 1/2/3…
- Step 5 – You will find the filename bookmarks when you get inside this folder and that’s the file you want.
How to find Google Chrome bookmark in Mac OS
The bookmarks and the backup bookmark file stored in Google Chrome are in the path User –> Your Username –> Library –> Application Support –> Google –> Chrome –> Default. By using the command line interface this directory can be found easily with the terminal program. You need to find a command-line script to show the hidden files in Finder as the library directory is a hidden directory by default. If you can enable the hidden folders in the finder then you will be able to modify, delete, or backup your Chrome bookmarks files by following the directory path.
Here are the steps followed for locating the bookmark files in Mac operating system
- Step 1 – Locating the bookmark folder is quite similar on a Mac operating system.
- Step 2 – You just need to enable the viewing of the hidden files in the Mac operating system.
- Step 3 – Once you are done then you can easily navigate your way to the directory path
User –> Your Username –> Library –> Application Support –> Google –> Chrome –> Default
- Step 4 – Quite similar to Windows you have to explore the profiles if there are multiple profiles on multiple users on your browser.
- Step 5 – Then finally you can find out the bookmark file listed.
Viewing the hidden files in Windows
As compared to other platforms viewing hidden files in Windows is quite simple and you don’t need a specific command or tool to access hidden files
- In Windows 7 you can simply open my computer and then click on Organize.
- You can click on the folder options from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the view tab when a new window appears.
- After clicking you can find many options under the heading advanced setting.
- You will find the hidden files and folders where you will be given the option to show or don’t show the hidden files.
- Just click on Ok and by selecting show hidden files folders and drives and finally all the hidden files and folders to be shown to you and you can even hide them again to the same process.
How to view hidden files in Mac library folder
There are different ways of viewing the hidden files in the Mac operating system but as per Jerry’s Tech blog the process and steps given here is the easiest way to find your hidden file library or folder.
- Step 1 – You need to open finder
- Step 2 – You need to hold down the ALT option and choose to go from the drop-down menu bar located at the top of the screen.
- Step 3 – You need to find the hidden library folder or files listed below the home folder
- Step 4 – Now you can easily access or see the hidden file or content which were previously hidden from your sight.
Now you are well aware of the location to find out the bookmarks of your Google Chrome and where they are stored. And you can easily find, delete, modify, or backup the bookmark files from your computer whenever required.
If you are in need of additional help with exporting or finding your bookmarks then you can post your questions and you will be provided with relevant answers from the frequently asked questions section on this website.